Old 04-02-14, 12:27 PM
OmegaGator

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
You might get by with a 36 hole rear wheel designed for touring for $150. There is far less weight on the front wheel, so the standard wheel should be strong enough.
Ya, that what I've been seeing a lot around this forum, looks like 36 spoke rims, with high tension, are the safest bet. Good point about only getting the rear wheels as it carries most of the weigh. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bbeasley
Please be sure to check with some folks your height. Fit is everything and 6'7" might put you on the outer edge of stock bikes. I'm not an expert and I'm almost 1' shorter . I ride with a fellow who's 6'4" and he feels like he's a tad tall for his largest of the brand bike.
Ya, I've been looking around about this, I knew my height would give me an issue with stock bikes. With my heights and weight the bikes I can choose from are very limited. :'( Thank for your input.

Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
I know zip about bike fitting etc but welcome to the bike forums. I've found many wonderful supportive people
here and I hope you will too.

Charlie
Thank you very much, I'm sure I will.

Originally Posted by brawlo
I'd ride the bike with the stock wheels until you had an issue. If anything, just get someone to check the spoke tension and perhaps increase it a bit for your weight. Ride light and I believe that the stock wheels shouldn't be that much of an issue. Spend the time afterwards saving for something better if you think you want it, or saving for some new wheels. I rode 32 spokes while commuting to uni many years ago, when I was weighing in at 150kg/330lb. There was a little off road section, but most of the ride was on road/paths and I never had a problem with the wheels.

Perhaps also consider the Sedona if it might suit your tastes. It comes in a slightly larger frame.
I don't think I'm ballsy enough to go with 32 spoke. My one big fear about biking is breaking something half way through a ride. It is nice to hear tho that there some bigger riders riding stock stuff, gives me a lot of piece of mind about getting a normal non-custom bike. And thank you very much for the Sedona suggestion, I shall definitely look into it.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
At 6'7" I'd see if anyone in he Toronto Raptors NBA team is up-grading their bike

ask about their old bike, if they will be selling it.
Hmmmm, I work close to them, I'll go check them out after work next time

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What size did the shop have in stock, and did you at least get on it? Take a look at the geometry:

Seek 2 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

If you tried a L, note that the XL top tube is only .6 inches longer. Standover height, while less important, is only .5 inches greater.

My point is that if you tried the next size down (or any size, for that matter) do you feel that, based on the differences in geometry across the range of frame sizes, the XL would be large enough for you? The geometry differences across the range of sizes seems tight. For example, the difference in top tube length between the S and the XL is only 1.6"
Stupidly, I didn't try the Seeks . I tried another bike that the owner said was very close in size, it felt pretty good. But, looking back at it I think I have to go back and try out the Seek XL. I realized I can't judge anything without a proper test ride. But, that is very good info to know regarding the sizing, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you!

Originally Posted by brawlo
Also consider the Talon models and factor in a set of better rolling tyres. They come in 25" TT frames
I'll take a look at the Talon models, thanks! What does TT mean, Titanium?

I was looking around on-line today for bikes and came across a used Specialized Allez road bike, its XXL. It has an aluminum frame and a carbon fork. Is a carbon fork a big no-no for someone my size?