RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Finally we're getting back to the kind of SIMPLE, EVERYDAY items I had in mind.

Here's another. I use wooden kebab skewers to pick up and feed nipples into deep rims (non eyeleted) and spin them onto spokes. They're $1.00 for a bunch, and work as well or better than anything I've tried. Even if they cost more they'd still beat shaking a dropped nipple out of a rim.
I use bamboo skewers for tons of things; as a 'pokey tool' as described by cyccommute to open housing lining, to wedge under handlebar grips so I can dribble water inside so I can twist them off, to dig ball bearings out of hubs, and tamp them back into freshly-greased cones, probably more I can't think of.

Also, one time I was fighting an old BB fixed cup, I applied heat by resting the BB in a wide, shallow skillet and filling with boiling water.

Somebody else mentioned layers of tape for brake shoe toe-in, I just hang a rubber-band on the back half of the brake shoe.

Interlocked hose clamps to mount a CREE XML-T6 superflashlight onto my handlebars. The flashlight is a lot longer and heavier than a bike light, but the hose clamps can be torqued down with a socket wrench until it's rock solid.

Last edited by RubeRad; 04-02-14 at 03:53 PM.