View Single Post
Old 04-02-14, 04:15 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaGator
I'll take a look at the Talon models, thanks! What does TT mean, Titanium?
TT is top tube. The Talon and Seek both have ahead type steerers so there's plenty of scope to change the stem length with stems up to 140mm. The Sedona has a quill type adjustable stem, so to lengthen the setup out, you have to lower the handlebars. You can get longer stems for these too, but there's not so many of them around and they're typically more expensive.

Originally Posted by OmegaGator
I was looking around on-line today for bikes and came across a used Specialized Allez road bike, its XXL. It has an aluminum frame and a carbon fork. Is a carbon fork a big no-no for someone my size?
I rode an aluminium frame when I started on road bikes. They're a bit unforgiving, but a carbon steerer should make things a bit better. The fork should be ok for your weight, but you'll be stressing the frame which may shorten it's life. Hopefully for you that doesn't happen while you have it in your possession. Having said that, back when I had some free cash I was thinking of investing in one of those for racing crits, but the money went towards my track racing habit instead.

Something like the Talon may be better for starting out on. The gearing would be better, the top tube is longer and there's front suspension to soak up some of the bumps. Some skinnier slicker tyres will make the bike roll a whole lot better too. When you lose some weight and are happy to go faster on pavement, then I'd look at something like the Allez.

Back on the wheel thing, I still have my Sedona that I bought when I got back into riding. It was the biggest size back then. I was around 140kg when I got it, and was doing jumps and stoppies on the front wheel and those wheels are still as true as the day I got them. If you stick with the fat tyres, then 32 spokes will be fine as the lower pressures soak up a lot of the road shock that is what kills spokes. When you're happy to go faster on smaller slicker tyres, then perhaps look at a new wheelset.