Old 04-02-14, 05:02 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
seely, I don't remember where the rims were made. I debadged them when I got them, which as it turns out was just over 3 years ago, not 18mths (wow a whole year went by in there somewhere!). The wheelset was a Velocity build with Ultegra hubs because at the time they had run out of their own hubs. The rims are the original non-tubeless model. The crack are hard to see unless you get the light at the right angle. They may have been there well before, and I just couldn't see them because I had no need to inspect the rim so closely. Pics of the 3 worst cracks are below, there's another 2 that are visible and they're spread right around the rim.
Interesting. That's not what I expected to see at all. I was expecting the typical fore/aft crack right at the center of the nipple. Those look more like the entire spoke bed portion of the extrusion is cracking away from the sidewall due to some sort of internal stress riser or something. Hmmmmmmm, I'll be interested to hear if Seely can shed any light on this issue.

And, by the way, although I used to be a proponent of the Open Pros, I believe there are currently much better options out there.