View Single Post
Old 04-03-14, 05:26 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
My dog (20 pounds) used to love riding in his Wald basket, but the driver has to pay attention, strict attention.
With the extra weight on the front wheel obviously handling is sluggish, but once you get rolling it's not so much of a problem. I've done numerous 20 and 30 mile rides without a problem (on a World Sport no less) but I am a defensive driver.

If you opt for the Wald remember it mounts on the axel so it won't work witha QR. I installed a long solid axel with suggicient room to mount the arm and double nut the axel so I could take the basket on/off quickly without disturbing the wheel alignment.

When I got my hybrid, we used a hollow rear axel, nutted it, and cut it so there was enough space so I could mount the arm and use a QR skewer to hold the basket.

The photo was of a fall ride. Little on the chilly side but not that bad. Never took the dog when tempts got below 50.
The newest walds apparently have a design change to allow mounting on fender eyelets. I haven't paid attention to it, because I have the old axle mount style.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon