Old 04-03-14, 08:18 AM
Joe Perez
Freewheelin'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Very practical bike man, and how well are your brake pads toed in?
I placed a postcard, folded in half, between the rim and the "trailing" edge of the pad (the end nearest the rear of the bike), then clamped down on the lever and tightened the nut. Had to repeat the process a few times to get everything lined up happily, but I believe that they are set up correctly. I base that alignment on this Shimano document: http://bike.shimano.com.sg/media/tec...9830746237.pdf

Depending that could account for the "juddering" I also seem to recall something about hand sanding rims and getting uneven braking surfaces that caused things like that, although given the wear and grit etc I've seen on lots of perfectly functioning rims for braking purposes that does seem kinda fishy.
Well, I wet-sanded the rims by hand with 220 grit paper, taking about an hour to do each side of each rim. I'm quite certain that I didn't remove more than a few mils of aluminum beyond the paint itself. I can pretty much guarantee that the warpage of the rim (which isn't bad at all) exceeds the unevenness of the surface resulting from the sanding process by several orders of magnitude.

Oh and what is that hanging off your rack in the pic?
A collapsible wire basket. Wald # 582 to be precise: 582 Rear Folding Basket - Waldsports

It fit perfectly onto the rack which came with the bike. Exactly the right size to hold one paper grocery bag. I have these on all my bikes.