Old 10-08-05, 07:34 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Letoll
We bought the best tandem we could afford at the time which is a Burly Tamberello Alum. frame. It does not have any disc mounts but the dealer we purchased from said they could be brazed on if we wanted to upgrade. Has anyone does this to their bikes? Any frame damage horror stories? I'd love to have a disc on the front if nothing else, considering 85%+ of your braking power is there anyway. Any links to a good tandem fork with mounts? Thanks
Unless I'm missing something, brazing on disc tabs to the rear triangle of an aluminum frame normally requires that the frame be re-heat treated after brazing and, as a result, repainted: not cheap to do but doable none the less.

As for putting a disc brake on the front of your road tandem, if I could only have one disc on a road tandem it would be on the rear wheel. But, that's just me. I'm familiar with the dual discs on road tandems and they seem to be working quite well, but I'm a bit of a trogludyte when it comes to front brakes on a road tandem: I'd rather have my trusty caliper and conventional wheel, what you very much. It's a personal taste / comfort thing at the moment so I won't say that I'd never add a front disc brake to compliment the rear disc on our tandem, but at this point the rear-only disc is doing exactly what I want it to do and I have no need for a front disc. Note: 285lb team that prefers aggressive descents.

Off-road use of discs is a completely different story as brakes are used quite differently off-road vs on.