Old 04-05-14, 04:34 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Miyata Biker
... In Ohio we now must have a head light that also distributes light to the sides at 180 degrees, visible for 300 feet. That would eliminate using a flashlight set up here ( unless you figure the police won't bother you for such a trivial jab at the law )...
It intrigues me that some one would think that such a set-up would be so important that it would be worth bothering to pass a law. Once again I think the whole purpose here is to "provide a legal out" to people who might hit a cyclist at night. If the cyclist has no side lighting that meets the required legal definition the perpetrator could get off with a reduced sentence. Otherwise, no one else ( police included ) are going to give a damn if the guy on a bike has a light/side light or not.

Looking at it another way, you could have your entire bike outfitted with side reflectors and side lights but if you don't have a "Front light with 180° visibility" the perpetrator could claim he couldn't see you and as stupid as that might sound, it can happen. ( so much for my faith in our justice system )

Prathmann's analysis nails it IMO.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 04-05-14 at 04:45 AM.