Old 04-09-14, 12:46 AM
Wits_Of_Fury

Bikes: 2011 CAAD10-5, 2014 Soma Saga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdthiem
With respect to the spoke nipples, I like the look of the silver offsetting with the black rims, and I've had only very minimal durability problems with alloy nipples. I'm an accomplished wheel builder (built over 100 wheels in my life) and know how to prep a wheel so there's minimal strength lost with alloy nipples. (I once built a wheel and lived for 5,000 mi. that only ever needed the slightest truing now and again.) I also want them for the weight savings... I commute in traffic in San Francisco several times a week, where being quick off the line is very helpful, and lighter wheels will help with that a lot. At least that's been my experience.

I got used to the double-tap shifters pretty quick; I like how crisp and clean their action is. At the same time, I'm more familiar with / used to the 105 STI shifters on my Fuji, so I'm going to swap them over to the Soma, along with the 105 rear derailleur, and put the Apex shifters and rear derailleur on the Fuji. I'm doing it primarily for weight-weenie reasons; I want to shave grams off my Fuji and detail it out because it's my Ferrari, so to speak, while my Soma is my station wagon, if that makes sense...
I, too, am more familiar with the 105 (what I'll be putting on my build), though the double tap weren't nearly as bad as I remember them a couple years ago.

I might have to pick your brain some on the wheel building; that is the one area where I know absolutely nothing. I haven't decided whether to buy a prebuilt set or have a shop customize them for me, but that is my next and final decision to make.