View Single Post
Old 04-09-14, 04:38 AM
Pamtivek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey it's me the OP. I just wanted to report that I started biking to work a few days ago. I received much helpful advice from all of you, but the most helpful insight was from Mr. Hairy Legs:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Sorry to join the thread so late...

Whatever your position, don't underestimate the power you have to change corporate culture and influence decisions made by managers/owners. I work in BC's "Silicon Valley", and the office I started in had no bike provisions whatsoever. I just wheeled my muddy bike into the office every day and changed clothes in a puny little bathroom. Nobody ever suggested I not do this, but what happened after a year or so was we moved into a very bike-friendly place with reasonably secure parking and private showers. I wasn't the primary reason we moved, but bike friendliness became one of the main criteria when the owner was looking around, and I was no doubt a big part of this. If nobody is biking to work, then you don't need bike facilities, right?

People may think you're crazy at first, but you can really work this to your advantage.
After just three days of cycling to work, they already ordered a bike rack to be installed on the parking (it's protected from the elements).