View Single Post
Old 04-09-14, 10:20 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
But still probably a good amount. When I used to bike commute, I would despair endlessly about the amount of terrible, entitled drivers out there. Now that I telecommute and most of my rides are purely recreational, I noticed a severe drop off of said drivers in my memory and now notice almost exclusively bad cyclists - aka red light runners, wrong way riders that seem to have figured everything else out (helmet, expensive bike & kit, etc but not knowing road rules) and so on. I think perspective has everything to do with threads like this getting started; perhaps some of the negative attitude that some in the bike advocacy community have adopted comes from having a commuter/utilitarian-centric perspective. Not that I blame them, but changing my perspective over time has led me to agree with those that argue that the same inconsiderate cyclist is probably also an inconsiderate driver and vice-versa.
I tend to agree with you, just that road users are over-represented by motor vehicle operators and likewise form a greater proportion of those creating a hazard just by being on the road.

There's just no way hazardous bicycle riders even come close to approaching the numbers of bad motor vehicle drivers, and the hazards created by scofflaw cyclists are much less severe than those created by bad drivers of motor vehicles.