View Single Post
Old 10-09-05, 01:02 PM
Savas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A discomforting close call while driving

Many riders don’t want to burden their bikes with equipment, but there needs to be some sort of statement made to alert bikers to the dangers of night riding without relfection and illumination. When driving, I always give the right of way to bikers when necessary and keep on the lookout, being a biker myself. I was returning to home by car during last night’s torrential downpour. It's hard to see. I’m at a red light, waiting for it to change, while keeping an eye on the oncoming traffic. Light changes and I see a car approacing from the front making a turn. Now, it’s my turn and as my car slowly started turning, a dark streak went by my driver’s side door toward the rear of the vehicle. It was a bike rider. I did not see where the person came from. But it was like a shadow figure, sort of like a silhouette with no reflectives and no lights. Clothes were dark. For all I know, probably didn't have a helmet, either. Had I not turned slowly, I think I might have impacted the bike rider. Which really left me anxious. It was a semi-lit corner area with stores and lamp posts. But people have to know that even a reasonably lit area provides for dark shadows, from which a dark figure will immediately appear. Add a hard rain to the mix and it can prove very dangerous.