Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by JEdward
I did some real miles(50 miles only) and felt gassed out. I think it was the sun, I'm not really use to warm weather and I really don't like cycling when it's in the mid to high 80s. By mile 35 I felt spent and was already struggling, though I think I was getting head wind at the last stretch. Bike wasn't loaded or anything, and this was pretty much on flat paved surface. Took me over 4 hours just to do 50 miles. I'm not ready for touring it would seem. I felt fine the next day though, no sore muscles or anything like that. Starting to think it's just the heat and recent weather change that my body has to adapt to. And deciding to just eat oatmeal for breakfast was probably a bad decision too. I may of bonked. Not sure. But going 12mph at the last stretch was pretty silly.
So ... what did you eat at Mile 35 when you started to bonk?

If you answer "nothing", then your problem is not the heat, not the head wind, not the bicycle, not that you're not ready, not the recent weather change, and not the oatmeal. The problem is that you did not eat during your ride.

It doesn't particular matter what you eat before your ride (although going super spicy could be an issue) ... what matter is eating during your ride.

Aim to consume (food, beverages) 200-300 calories per hour during your ride.
Aim to drink a 750 ml bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours.

Your calories could come from energy bars, granola bars (they've got some good ones of those available now), fruit, a sandwich, beef jerky, potato chips, cookies, pastries, crackers and cheese, salted almonds, 100% pure orange juice, iced tea ... whatever is available ... whatever grabs your fancy.