View Single Post
Old 04-11-14, 08:41 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
It was a shakedown run...

Hills were a challenge, especially the ones up from bridge... I am proud of her performance and ability to do the stoker stuff! She described some of the better parts as "elation!"... I am surprised at the speed and momentum a tandem has... She doesn't like to go over 30.
Welcome to tandeming! If she can tolerate 30 now and expresses elation, she'll be be looking forward to 30+ soon enough. The challenge will be finding places where a gradual downgrade is long enough to make it worthwhile to shift all the way up. In our case I often have to shift three cogs and back again in less than a minute.

Momentum, you say? Yes, a tandem generates downhill speed very quickly, loses it quickly uphill, and keeps rolling for a long time. The wind drag per mass is lower than on a solo bike, but the total power to weight ratio is often lower too. Also coordinating that power isn't always as efficient as it might be.

Which side is the DS? I dunno'. We can't see the gearing from a left side pic, but turning a tandem around is a lot of work for a photo. Triple cranks with a real granny ring, 28T or smaller, are essential for fun riding in hilly terrain, IMHO. But you have to know how to relax into spinning a low gear. My sweetie tends to crank hard when we are in our low. That's both good and bad. It means she's working but it means we'll overspin it pretty quickly. If the hill is long that's not so good.

We've found the best way to enjoy a tandem is to mix some socializing with it. A picnic at a nice location is a staple on ours - have pannier w/food, will travel.

Do remember a few key rules:
1. The stoker is always right.
2. See rule 1.
3. As captain, never make a mistake.
4. If anything happens, admit that it was your fault. Always. If it was intentional sometimes you can explain a situation after the fact. But don't count on it.
If mom, a.k.a. the stoker, ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Mix one tandem with fresh air, enjoy!