Old 04-11-14, 01:22 PM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Whoa! First, let me say I'm a n00b at this stuff but I've been eagerly following this thread since last summer and keep wondering why I haven't put drop bars on my '93 rigid MTB.

I mention I'm new at this because I hope this hasn't been asked a million times before. If it has, I haven't seen it.

STI brifters work with Deore XT derailleurs?

If so, that changes everything in my mind. Bar-end shifters don't really appeal to me. Having quick and easy shifters at hand as on a straight-bar MTB is pretty nice, and I didn't want to lose quick shifting to gain drop bars.

But I could go for STIs! My RD is a Deore LX and I assume the front is too but don't know for sure sitting here at work with the bike at home. (Yeah, I drove the car today. I know, I know...)

Can I just slap on a set of STIs and just adjust the cables without any major surgery? My understanding has been STIs require "road" derailleurs, not "mountain" Ds.

Thanks.
Hey Squeeze,

Running STI brifters with mountain derailleurs is possible but I'd suggest some inline cable adjusters and patience to dial it in. John Tomac won the 1990 World Championship using a Dura Ace brifter with a XT rear derailleur. When I redid my 1988 Cimarron LE, I used the 6 speed "Deerhead" XT derailleurs off my 1986 Cimarron with some Shimano Sora brifters and a new 8 speed freewheel. I opted to go with the Sora shifters because the ratchet and thumb trigger mechanism closely matches the Campy Ergo shifters. I figured if the set up worked well, I'd swap the shifters later and do a ShimErgo set up. The "Deerhead" components are built like tanks and with the adjustment screws and inline cable adjusters I was able to hit the full range of gears using a double crankset. It's possible but will require some trial and error in setting it up, it's all part of the build and part of the fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JohnTomac1990Worlds.jpg (23.0 KB, 604 views)
88CimarronLE_side.jpg (104.4 KB, 622 views)
88CimarronLE_cranks.jpg (105.3 KB, 592 views)
88CimarronLE_rear.jpg (105.0 KB, 589 views)