Old 10-09-05, 06:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
My mom is NEVER going to ride VC, steely eyed into 35MPH traffic with arm outstretched and eye contact alpha dogging her right to the road.

Would as many people bike in Portland if there weren't as many bike lanes? I seriously doubt it. And if all the stripes were replaced tomorrow with wide outside lanes, I think less people would bike in Portland.

Regardless of my personal riding style, If VC's net effect on bicyclists is less people on bikes, it's not helping. I think bicycle advocacy should be for all people who bicycle, not just those who bike for transportation
I tend to agree with you. However, I think that many "folk cyclists" do not ride very often, and many only ride for a few months before they give it up. Setting aside safety issues, cycling is generally less efficient when it is done exclusively on paths, trails and sidewalks. Not all areas are served by paths and trails, and even the sidewalk eventually ends. "The road goes ever on," however, and usually with better pavement and higher practical speeds.

My question is, how many "folk cyclists" would spend more time on their bikes if they felt able to ride in the street? I myself would not have continued cycling if I felt confined to the sidewalks and trails. Street avoidance is not practical cycling, and in the long run, it isn't much fun for most adults either. At least inform people that they have a realistic option to ride in the street,then let them make up their own minds.