View Single Post
Old 04-14-14, 07:57 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I feel the same way. I never buy any clothing that has large brand logos. The only thing I have that is clearly branded are my New Balance running shoes and that's tough to rectify since for me, they make the best minimal natural running form shoes.

If I'm going to be a moving billboard, I should be paid. My #1 reason for selling my Masi Partenza frame? Decals. I was so annoyed that I was a moving billboard for a company I don't even like. You can see MASI in huge lettering all tubes and fork, it's moronic. Masi owes me money for advertising their crappy bike all over Boston and Northshore.

Another irritating thing about SRAM is how large their branding is on the shifters. I think SRAM owes a few thousand $$$ to every SRAM rider out there. My 105 are lovely in that only those who can recognize bike parts know it's a Shimano 105 or that it's Shimano.

From a distance of more than 5 ft, you can't see any branding at all on my bike other than the wheels say RS11, which to an average person would mean absolutely nothing. I expletive expletive expletive expletive love that! I love that normal person wouldn't be able to judge how much my bike costs or how much I spent. And for the average person probably would not be at the top of their list to steal. No branding? I would be ecstatic if 99/100 person who didn't recognize or know the components of my bike and what frame I have thought it was garbage bike not worth stealing.

And lucky for me, even among avid cyclists, they probably think my bike is garbage because it doesn't have branding from Parlee/Guru or Wilier/Cervelo. Average person thinks it sucks and those who know bikes think it sucks? Sweet, I hope it never gets stolen.

Just saying, if I was a bike thief? I would do anything possible to steal as many Parlee bikes as I could. I'd spend $5K on some tool that can eat through bike locks super fast and steal every branded boutique bike as I could. Walk around with a helmet, carry my tool in one of the super lame bags hippies or metrosexuals use and bike shoes with a coffee mug in the other hand.
You're crazy and who the hell leaves an expensive road bike of any brand in a bike rack? I don't even own a lock for my bikes. I have no reason to.

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
For the last 6 weeks I've been unable to ride due to being hit by a pickup truck. That destroyed my bike and nearly destroyed me. Thursday my doctors gave me the green light to resume cycling, but it's tough without a bike.

Today a buddy of mine sent me a photo of a bike he built for me out of spare parts.

It's good to have friends that buy old bikes, just because they were a great deal.
Aww, hell yeah! It even looks like it will fit you perfectly!