Old 04-15-14, 11:07 AM
cheezliz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Bring a magnet with you and see if the rims are aluminum or steel. If they are steel stopping in the rain will be a challenge. I've had a couple of Peugeots and I'm having a little trouble figuring out how old that one is. The lion decal on the head tube was something I thought they used in the 80's. On the other hand it looks like it has cottered cranks which I thought they quit using in the 70s but maybe I'm wrong. Cottered cranks are a pain to work on.

There's a lot of steel parts on it so it's going to weigh at least 30 lbs. However, it should be fine for the distance you're planning on traveling and it sounds like the seller took good care of it. The wheels would be my only concern. My wife's old Peugeot came with steel wheels that had a serrated braking surface. Not only was it tough to stop in the rain, it always made an unpleasant noise while braking until I replaced the wheels. Make sure you ride it and try the brakes out (as well as the shifting and everything else).
Thanks for the tip. I asked the seller and he says they are aluminum. I'm buying it today! Thank you all for your help!