View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 01:06 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The frame, of course, which I think plays the largest part in how the bike feels when riding.
After a few days of riding, I whole heartedly concur. This feels like a completely different bike.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Was travelling light today.

65er, you should just start a thread that features nothing but your own bikes. Not only are they all aesthetically appealing, they are wonderfully functional to boot, and there is no more perfect marriage of purpose to form than that. I love the stealth black look, and the red headlight just pops.

A question to you: you mount bar end shifters on a number of your bikes, most of which seem to be drop bar bikes. I've used the same, and have found them to be great on moustache bars and cruiser/north road bars, but on drop bars I kept hitting my leg on the shifter when I tried pedaling out of the saddle, specifically when starting from a dead stop. Do you think that this is correctable behavior, like avoiding toe strike on a fendered road bike, or do bar end shifters require a certain geometry to avoid knee strike?

Originally Posted by the_tool_man
\
That is a damn sexy bike, regardless of how old it is. Given it's fantastic condition, it's age only increases the allure.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
GriddleCakes, your Straggler looks great! Those gold rims actually look good somehow. First Straggler I've seen except for promo photos. I'm surprised the brake cable is run under the top tube -- I guess it's not really a "disc-check"

Once you figure out whether your bike (new frame, used parts) is new or not, you can get to work on that Ship of Theseus question, I hear they haven't figured that one out yet either.
Yeah, not gonna touch the Ship of Theseus question, although I thank you for the link; it was an interesting read. After riding the bike for a few days, I agree with PatrickGSR94: the frame is where the soul is. The bike rides totally different from the Nashbar build, despite identical compontentry. I don't know if this will increase or decrease my bike's status in your eyes, but those rims are lemon yellow, not gold.