Old 04-17-14, 12:54 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
It's a racing incident and not an uncommon one, just the result was an outlier.

It looks like the outside rider comes in hard, touching oloveg's bar/arm/something. This causes him to not steer for a moment, bringing his front wheel in contact with the rear wheel of the outside rider. At that point it's over.

The outside rider isn't cornering well, leaning his body more than the bike, which contributes because it closes the gap to oloveg. Outside rider is also on the hoods, which may be part of the reason why he's not comfortable cornering hard. Without as much weight up front the front end feels skittish so riders tend to get scared. That means pulling back away from the front end (making the problem worse) as well as leaning the body more instead of leaning the bike more.

Oloveg, you're not on your, may be a bit more vulnerable. For me I'm way more vulnerable if I'm on my hoods and I'm shorter (so hoods are better for planned contact). Taller people will be more vulnerable when on the hoods because the drops are exposed to a hit from a shorter rider, or one to the outside when leaned over in a turn. Shorter people like me tend to need to be on the hoods for bump drills etc.

There's a local guy that had the same injury when he crashed in the 4s a few years ago. Not only did he fully recover (docs told him he wouldn't walk again) he's now a 2, and at least until last year he was quite the motor. I haven't seen him race recently so no idea now but he's obviously fine on the bike.

Don't rush the healing. You seem like you're in pretty good spirits, all considering. You're welcoming feedback. It sounds like you'll be ready to race when you are healed.

If I were you I'd think about what happened, think about how to prevent it. When you're immobile you have a lot of time to think about things like this. I'd try and diet once the initial bit of healing happens (for me I waited 2 months). Lose the weight and come back a lean mean fighting machine. Your strength will come back but if you can lose weight while you're inactive you'll reap huge benefits.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson