Old 04-19-14, 12:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasw333
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Let's say I find a frame, what makes that frame better than the magna frame I got for free?
And I would not buy that Windsor if I wanted to spend money on a new bike I would look seriously at the kilo TT I have read so much about on this forum. I got a free bike, what I wanted was better wheels, or at least a front wheel that was not loose and pink, and some not pink cranks.
No problem. Always happy to try and help and give whatever nuggets of knowledge I might have to others.

It is cheap heavy steel (or aluminum) poorly welded together. The Windsor or Kilo TT is a little bit higher quality and most likely welded by people who know something about bikes. You can find decent frames from older bikes that were built in a time that had more standards and less junk coming out or are just older bikes that were really great in the day but are trumped by modern tech. Old lugged steel frames can be quite sexy but a lot of people see it as not worth much because it is an old used bicycle or it just has been gathering dust/taking up space in the garage so any money they get is profit. Maybe the paint is worn or maybe there is a lot of work that needed to be done but since you are just going to turn it into a fixed gear all of that work is nill with new parts.

I honestly wouldn't put money into the bike at all. Cheap wheels are still probably going to be about $100 or so and that could be money put into the new bike. I don't have any extra wheels and not sure of any good place to find them except maybe at a bike co-op but that can be a crapshoot. I don't know what your budget is and time frame for getting bike monies together but I really would just put all that money into the new bike. You have two bikes currently plus this Magna so you probably aren't in a rush for a bike so save up and you will thank yourself.

Sorry if I rambled or just didn't make sense at points. I am writing and editing this while sort of falling to sleepy time so maybe my typing is no tso good right now.