Old 10-10-05, 01:25 PM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my commute I ride wherever I need in order to maximise my chances of reaching work/home in one piece in a reasonable time (I am usualy quicker than driving):

I cycle on roads in (what I understand at least) to be a vehicular manner. I can´t say this is particularly fun as I am also relying on drivers (who have a lot less to lose than me) doing their part. The chances of an accident may be lower but if it happens it will probably be a big one.

I also ride in bike lanes/paths. Can be a little better than riding on bare roads as at least I have a part of the road that is unquestionably mine and most motor vehicles stay out of it. Also if necessary I can ride out and claim the road (with some increased harassment from cagers as they think I should be using the bike lane). There are some dangers and increased delays at intersections but the dangers at least can be largely predicted. The chances of a collision at intersections are probably increased but at least I can probably survive going across a car hood.

Some bike lanes/paths are however clearly unsafe to use at any reasonable speed and I, or course avoid these.

Bike trails away from the roads: the best option. Complete absence of cars. Also more relaxing to ride on. Of course there are dangers and you need to pay attention but I would rather hit a rollerblader than a cement truck anyday.

Sidewalks- useful for shortcuts with appropriate care and getting off the bike where necessary if there are lots of peds/police

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)