View Single Post
Old 04-21-14, 09:28 PM
OneLessFixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
Picked up a set of Williams 38 from a friend and the rating turns out to be 190lbs. Would they asplode at nearly 70lbs over that limit, or is that limit just to cover their a*sses? And I've heard they might flex a lot under heavy loads.
I'm reminded of what my flight instructor said about getting iced in a Cessna 172.

"The 172 is not certified for flight into icing conditions. That means it's not tested in those conditions. So, get iced in a 172? Guess what - at that moment, you're a test pilot."

So it is with you exceeding the weight limit of these rims by 50%. And if it does asplode, (courtesy of the late, great Sheldon Brown), this is what it will look like, instantly and with no warning. Is a few grams off of your wheels really worth a potentially devastating crash which could entail serious and possibly permanent injuries?

<rant>

Gawd, I absolutely do not understand the fascination with carbon fibre, especially for us clyde's. It's overkill for a "normal" weight cyclist, but for a clyde, it's just asking for trouble, especially if you're 50% over the rated weight. If you're concerned about weight, lose it off of your damn belly! Doing that will get your kilograms versus grams from running

</rant>