Old 04-22-14, 05:15 PM
trapezee

Bikes: Lotus Competition, Lotus Unique, Trek 790, Schwinn Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 790 Multitrack

This is my Trek 790 Multitrack. I wanted to maintain the character of the bike, so chose to make small changes based on function. The bike was purchased via craigslist from a seller in Milwaukee, WI. There are some small details that make believe this bike was an early production model. The published stats for this model (1990) list Shimano Deore DX hubs. This bike has Shimano 600 hubs (7s). Also, this bike does not have rack mounts on the fork-every other 790 I've seen pictured has these mounts. Maybe someone knows more about these variations.

I live Chicago, which is essentially flat, so I lowered the gearing to match the topography. I took cues from the 600 hubs and changed out the Deore DX rear derailleur with a short cage 600EX derailleur. For now, I'm keeping the Deore front derailleur, but may find 600EX for the front too. I ditched the third chainring and replaced the original cassette with a lower geared (13-23) Hyperglide cassette. A new Hyperglide chain makes the drivetrain function perfectly. New Soma tires (32mm), cork grips and a pair of Deore pedals to replace the original SR pedals. Oh yeah, new brake pads and lots of fresh grease.

When I purchased the bike, it wouldn't shift onto the large chainring, the brakes barely functioned, and it was covered with a layer of grime. Now, it functions perfectly, it rides smooth and swift, and manages big city potholes. No regrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_MG_0534.jpg (94.6 KB, 136 views)
_MG_0521.jpg (104.0 KB, 102 views)
_MG_0523.jpg (102.1 KB, 100 views)
_MG_0524.jpg (94.7 KB, 100 views)
_MG_0525.jpg (81.2 KB, 100 views)