View Single Post
Old 04-23-14, 05:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Usually using Google Maps, because the OSM maps in ridewithgps are visually a headache, but I could always switch it just before exporting.
Switching before exporting will do absolutely nothing. The coordinates of the points in the track won't change. (That's why importing it into Mapsource doesn't do anything either.)

I'm using TCX for the ahead-of-turn notification, which is really nice.
Those notifications are the "course points". That information is what makes the tcx files different. For the calculated-routing (the big white arrows that are displayed), tcx and gpx work the same.

Which says (in ridewithgps) that it includes custom cues, but it never does -- I have all the phrasing for a proper cue sheet in there (stop sign/T intersection notation, etc) and it just tells me which street to turn which way on, rather than giving me my cue.
There are things that Garmin calls "course points". These are coordinates with icons (like left and right arrows) and a 10 character label that get displayed on the units when you reach them. These are what is used to display cue-sheet entries (whether the cue-sheet entry is generated by ridewithgps or if it's custom).

Since there is only 10 characters available, ridewithgps removes any "less essential" text. Since the icon shows the turn direction, ridewithgps removes "left", "right", etc from the "notes". The icon displayed is taken from the "Type" above the "Notes" (in ridewithgps).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-23-14 at 06:06 AM.