View Single Post
Old 04-23-14, 09:34 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I work in a shop, stepping down from full time mechanic/sales for about 4.5 years to part time work now.

I would do the measurement for free, with a smile. That customer will be back for more free advice. Eventually they will get into a situation with an online purchase where they bring the bike in for fixing, and then they will be charged right at shop rate for any and all repairs/adjustments, no bro-deal no matter how friendly I appear when giving out free advice.

People who ask for free advice generally lack tools and are too lazy to look online for many repairs, so they will be back to the guy/shop who has proven so helpful in the past.

I have no problem charging to build a new bike bought online, adjust a used bike bought online, or install parts bought online. Bikes - low margin; parts - reasonable margin unless price matching online deals; labor - all margin...
+1

Spoken like a true businessman. Those people who would advocate a hard line with customers to prevent showrooming would turn off 10 good customers for every 1 that they prevented taking advantage of some free service. An LBS thrives on loyal repeat customers. You don't build that relationship by treating everyone that walks through the door like a scammer and nickel-and-diming them.