Old 04-23-14, 03:58 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
With mechanical shifts I to have found that TA rings are likely to over shift as you describe. I think that I have it adjusted in the stand and it works for multiple rides and then the chain will climb to the outside of the big ring. In my case it seems to usually happen as a result of a particularly forceful shift of the FD.

A series of very small incremental adjustments to the limit screw has so far always found a setting that does not derail, has no chain rub in the small cog, and still lifts the chain easily. This is on a Santana with a 113mm square taper BB which I would think places the small cassette cogs more outside the crank than your Calfee. The trial and error process does however leave chain marks on my nice polished daVinci crank arms.

Please let us know how the stronglight rings works out. It would be nice to avoid the process.
Your experience with a mechanical FD and TA rings seems to concur with what I am finding using the Di2 FD. In the scenario I described (inner rear cogs and upshifting to big ring), the FD appears to move outward more aggressively than when using the outer rear cogs (with Di2, the FD trim is automatically tied to the RD cog position). I have the FD limit screws set to the minimum needed to prevent chain rub, so going with other rings.

Meanwhile, our Gates belt is getting chewed up from the derailments and chain jams. During the initial build with Di2 and SSD, I thought the belt might help prevent any outer chain drops, but no such luck, and in fact can result in a fairly ugly mess between the chain getting stuck under the belt and the Centertrack belt derailling. I'm being stubborn about replacing that (have a spare) just to see how long we can go before a failure appears imminent. Hopefully no sudden loss, otherwise my 100 watt rear engine will be getting us home by herself.

Thanks for the feedback. No such alignment in the "Mechanics" forum yet.

Last edited by twocicle; 04-23-14 at 04:10 PM.