Old 04-23-14, 10:37 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

1- helmets do reduce acceleration in head impacts, from which it's reasonable to assume that they would reduce likelihood and/or severity of TBI in head strikes.

I have no problem with the above, and accept it as a given even though I believe that the risk of head strike (for me) is low enough to forgo wearing one.
Many youth soccer coaches felt the same was true with those soccer head cushion bands. Some (including large soccer clubs with hundreds of players) even mandated their players wear them. Then the statistics started coming in that showed as more players began wearing them, the number of TBIs significantly went up. The soccer head bands have lost their luster of perceived magical powers.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suspect it's also the logic behind the Navy's oddball policy. Civilians can sue more easily than active duty personnel, so the helmet rule makes perfect sense if it's intent is to protect the Navy.
Actually, most of the people riding without cycle helmets on Navy facilities are civilian shipyard employees who are quite free to file law suits.