View Single Post
Old 04-23-14, 10:41 PM
halcyon100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall, glad you are okay. Four railroad tracks in a row seems unfortunate, though I can understand wanting to avoid higher traffic areas.

I would check to see if your wheels are true. Whenever I crash, I invariably wind up with bruises, road rash and wheels that are out of true. I've never practiced crashing, but seem to average a fall about once every few years. I would inspect any light weight aluminum or carbon parts.

I recently switched from an old mountain bike for commuting to a road bike and I noticed that I felt less confident at railroad crossings. I agree with cyccommute - I think it helps to go faster over railroad crossings. I also agree that mountain biking may help you build skills/confidence with this. With my mountain bike, the tires were too wide to get caught in the tracks, but my road bike wheel could easily wind up lodged in between the tracks if not crossed carefully. Still, I cross fairly fast. I actually take a short fire road on my commute (used to be a railway line) and cross some railroad tracks in the dirt on my carbon fiber road bike - I still go over them pretty quickly. I always stand, keep my weight back and cross perpendicular to the tracks. I use spd pedals on a loose setting. I actually think spd pedals are much safer and easier to use that straps/power grips/etc. I'm not sure how much learning to track stand will help you, but I often wish I could bunny hop. I'm terrible at bunny hopping.

You might also want to consider commuting on a mountain bike. Using slicks vs. regular mountain bike tires only saved me about two minutes on my bike commute (total of 45 minutes, one way). Switching to a road bike saved me about five minutes. I used to commute on an old (but light) mountain bike with an old suspension fork which was mostly locked out, and I enjoyed the "bombproof" feeling I had while commuting, especially in more urban sections of my route.

Lately, I've found that I'm a bit "desensitized" on the commute since I ride it so often. I'm not paying as much attention to the road as I should because I have done the commute so many times. This is especially true on the ride home. I'm trying to be better about having a snack and a little coffee or tea about a half hour before I leave work.