View Single Post
Old 04-24-14, 12:10 PM
Hermespan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton copycat refines itself?

Singapore established retailer (MyBikeShop) offering Flamingo London NX7 (calls it BP-01) as well as MIT V-8. Waiting to hear back from either Taiwan manufacturer and/or Singapore vendor to learn what any *important* differences are.

Frankly I find all this technical bike talk about as interesting as audiophiles comparing woofers, computer nerds counting RAM and auto fetishists elaborating on I don't know what - carburetors? There is something male competitive that as a momma''s boy and sports non-enthusiast that I just don't get. To me a bicycle is not about status or power. It's just a transportation tool to get me from point A to B as long as it folds up for Air Asia and provides a modicum of serviceability, versatility and comfort.

Anyway, I don't want to spend hours distinguishing between numbers, just get the colour I want and enough hassle-free (internal) gears to take me from Nepal to the Congo (in a gajillion baby steps). By a quick look at Togoparts it appears that the differences are marginal...

folding size: 30 cm diff
weight: 1.2 kilos diff
brakes: V vs. disk brakes

Waiting to learn price.

Togoparts (Aslan bike forum) has lists of manufacturers' models and just to complicate things after two months of this esoteric research it appears that differences can be sleight. The Hoogie-Boogie M17 'Horse' made in Chinese for the Czech market is not the same as the Boogie-Hoogie 'Zebra ' 1912E which is sold only every second Thursday in Macau. Difference? Three screws as far as I can tell.

All I care about is whether it's within my budget, how accessible parts and service will be, whether it feels right. When I had a banana bike at 12 I wasn't the slightest interested in the metal content of the spokes. Fifty years later not much has changed with me.

Got a bike that fits in blue?

Last edited by Hermespan; 04-24-14 at 12:14 PM.