View Single Post
Old 04-25-14, 07:15 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to get to my Saturday morning ride an hour early, ride about 15 miles at an increasing pace, and then I'm ready to go with the group ride of 41+ miles. If I don't get there early, it's still good and I don't worry about it. On my daily training rides I start off going up a slight grade and don't really do a warm up. My first 5 mile split is always my slowest, at 15-16.5 mph with about a mile of uphill riding. At the end of the first "hill" (the end of mile 3) I can tell how fresh my legs are, and how good my attitude is, by my speed...11-12 mph and it will be a tough ride...15-16 mph for a good ride.

On our Saturday morning rides, the leader (70 yoa) starts us off with about 2 miles of easy/talking speed, and then when we leave the trail and head onto the country roads, he picks it up to about 19 mph and pulls for 3-4 miles. The man is amazing, and has really helped motivate me since I am "only" 63 (and holding for another 2 months). As far as warming up is concerned, I know I'm ready when my mind shifts from "I wonder if my legs are strong today" to "wow this is a beautiful day, and it's great to be alive."