View Single Post
Old 04-25-14, 02:39 PM
ssnova12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to start Cycling with my Dad

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the site and came across it looking for some answers and suggestions. I'm assuming a road bike is what I'm looking for.

So my father has been putting on weight. He travels a lot for work, sometimes weeks at a time (excluding weekends), but he actually works from home. He's been 250 for the longest I can remember and has quite the gut (seems a little larger now). He's ~6'1, in his mid 50s.

I want to get him exercising this summer. And biking seems to be the best way to go about it. We used to bike pretty often as a family over 10 years ago when I was younger so I know this can work.

I've been browsing the site, mostly some stickies, and see the term Clydesdale. What things would I need to look into for a bike for him.

I want to make it an activity for us to do this summer. But I'd need a bike and so would he. And I'm looking into the possibility of biking to my full time job this summer (on nice days). It's 11-12 miles one way. I've always been athletic, I used to run in middle school/high school but injured my knee. 2 years of on-and-off-running later and I still have pain, even after starting to lift weights regularly. It's another reason I'm looking into this whole biking thing. I miss the sport of running but am not sure how often I can participate with the heavy impact. I'm also interested in starting cardio as well. There is nothing that tops having an efficient body . I really do miss it.

I really don't have much knowledge of bikes, which is why I'm here. The only bikes I've ever owned are mountain bikes (mostly from dept. stores. But my last bike was a Kawasaki that I absolutely loved). I've always been hard on my bikes. Never really took care of them. But I'm in my 20s now and haven't used the Kawasaki in maybe 4 years and it's a lost cause.

After having said all of this, my idea of a budget is 2-300 dollars per bike. Is this reasonable at all? I think I'd be looking into new bikes for both of us. There are a handful of shops around me.

My thoughts/ideas are all over the place. This is really the first time I've thought about it and am just putting it down in writing now. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I hope some of you have made it this far in my wall of text!

Thanks for your input!