Old 04-26-14, 12:14 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
It is a 7-Eleven Store. At the time I get there, about 6:15 AM, there is heavy foot traffic. I lock it to the handicapped parking sign which is visible from most of the inside of the store. There are rare instances where I have to lock it out of sight for extended periods. These are doctors appointments and trips to the grocery store. It is a calculated risk I am willing to take. I always lock the bike in front of the store in areas of high foot traffic. These places often have bike racks in back, or out of sight by dumpsters and such. There are always handicapped parking signs right in front of the store and I use them.

I once locked to a flag pole in front of a Kaiser office and some security guard gave me grief and threatened to cut the lock-yada yada. I went in, got my drugs at the pharmacy and left. Wrote an e-mail to Kaiser about the incident and now that facility has a rack in front.
Ha, that's pretty cool.

As long as you realize the bigger risk you're taking with the cable, that's cool. We all take risks - I use a ulock for my commuter, but it's a thinner combination ulock because I don't it's worth the extra weight and hassle of carrying something thicker and heavier. It's not a huge deal as long as you realize your tradeoffs, what's really annoying is that a lot of people don't realize how little security a cable provides compared to a ulock. If you realize that and that's fine with you - that's cool. This is the first video I ran across where someone demonstrates -
Hal Breaks Locks - YouTube

A ulock is not difficult to cut through either really, but at least it draws attention to do it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCwwvgYGT0