View Single Post
Old 04-26-14, 11:43 AM
tpelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frustrating Experience on the MUP Today

Lately, if I want to get in a quick ride, I've been using a walking/jogging/biking trail at a local sports park near my house. It's well maintained, and if you hit it at the right time, not very crowded. It encircles a park that is set up with several soccer fields on the north half, and a like number of baseball/softball fields on the south half. The MUP is only 1.25 miles per one lap, but is curvy, crosses over several bridges, winds through and area of picnic shelters, and about 1/2 mile of it is along the bank of the Ohio river.

Anyway, I normally go fairly early on Sunday morning after attending early services. Today, though, it was such nice weather that I decided to go Saturday morning, not getting there until about 10:30. Soccer and Little League was in full swing, so the road and parking lots were busy. I got my bike off the rack and took a minute to try to check out which direction the majority of the walkers/joggers were going - for some reason most seem to go counterclockwise. I always go the opposite direction, if I can, so that they see me coming even if they don't hear me over their ear buds.

As I started my ride, and go past the soccer fields, for some reason some of the parents who were watching their kids play decided to stand on the MUP instead of on the grass next to the soccer field! As I was passing one guy - and out of caution I slowed down to about a walking pace - he decided to take a step back just as I got alongside of him. He did see me in time. (I thought about reminding him that it was a walking/jogging/cycling path and not a bus stop, but I figured my sarcasm would go unappreciated.)

A little later I came up behind one young lady who was walking along while talking on a cell phone. As I approached I slowed way down again, and gave her a ding or two from my bell. She moved over to the left, which inferred that she heard me and knew I was coming, but she didn't turn her head to glance back so I remained suspicious. I was only moving just slightly faster than she was walking, but just as my front wheel was about even with her she took a weave to the right, nearly blundering right into me. I swerved to not hit her, but the trail takes a 90-degree right turn immediately past that point so I was off my line and ended up running off into the soft ground next to the trail. I tried to get stopped gracefully, but grace is not my strong point, and ended up going down at very slow speed on to my right elbow. She apologized, as she realized that her gormless bumbling was what caused me to crash.

At that pint I figured that I had enough for today, loaded my bike up, drove home, and rode on the country road with it's automobile traffic, figuring I would take my chances with the cars and pickup trucks.