Old 04-26-14, 09:14 PM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exploring Portland and Eugene, Oregon, on a single-speed. How many gear-inches?

I'm hoping someone with experience riding in Portland and Eugene can help me on this.

I'm planning to take a trip by bus and Amtrak train to Portland and Eugene, Oregon, in July this year. I want to explore these 2 cities, have some fun, and photograph their bike infrastructure to make a video to educate my home city and county about the things Portand especially has done to make it a safe, convenient place to ride a bike for fun and transportation. I'm going to take a side trip from Eugene out to the Oregon Country Fair, too. I want to take one of my folding bikes along, since it's easier to take a small folder than a full-size bike on Amtrak, for reasons explained in other threads.

My question is about the smallest bike I could take, which has 46 gear inches, single speed, freewheel, not a fixie. I'm not familiar with the topography of these 2 cities and the route from Eugene westward to Veneta where the Fair will be located. I know I can sit on the little bike going up a grade of 3% or less. At a cadence of 60 rpm, I travel 8 mph; at 90 rpm, 12 mph. Will I have trouble getting around on 2 wheels with this little bike? Should I bring my 16-speed folding bike which has great gear range?

Last edited by overbyte; 04-26-14 at 09:39 PM.