Old 04-29-14, 01:56 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Oh my gosh. Another person intrigued by a fixie. Yes, a lot of them show up on my local CL but not a lot of decent quality, reasonably priced road or MTBs do. People hang on the them even if they don't ride them often. I'm one who is old enough to remember when a lot of adult bikes were one-speeds. Not fixies like a track bike but just a fat tire cruiser type. You can't imagine how nice it was to graduate from a 3-speed bike to a genuine, lightweight 10-speed road bike. Suddenly I could ride long distances and not drop dead at the end of the ride. I don't own a regular bike with less than 27 speeds and that one is two decades old. There's a reason why multi-speed bikes are so popular. They are far more comfortable to ride if you live any place but the flatlands like North Dakota. MTB or road bike? If you are just going to ride on paved trails or local roads, either will do. I'd get a second set of road tires if you buy an MTB with knobby tires. If you intend to ride MTB trails then a road bike is out. Decent bikes don't fall apart. If you buy a road bike with narrow, high pressure tires, then jumping curbs isn't wise but just hitting a bump isn't going to break anything. I treat my MTB the same way I used to treated my road bike but know that if I go off road it is a lot more stable than a road bike. It is more rugged but I don't abuse it. You get faster speeds out of a road bike with narrow tires than a similar weight MTB with knobby tires for the same effort. Whatever you do, stay away from the mass-merchandiser bikes that you find at places like Target and WalMart. A good used bike is a far wiser purchase than one of them.