View Single Post
Old 10-11-05, 06:13 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Sandy,

good to hear that the incident went pretty well (i.e. banged up arm and bike repairs being paid for)

i think such an incident can in the long run a good thing as it really makes you AWARE as a cyclist. i think the main difference between an auto driver and a cyclist is that an auto driver for the most part just makes sure to "follow the rules" and if something like this happens and someone else fails to give right of way, most of the time is a "fneder-bender" and the result is the party-at-fault's insurance paying for the dents and what-not. BUT for a cyclist the consequences of such a "minor accident" can be major!!

just because the law says you have the right of way (e.g. a stop sign who the other guy is SUPPOSED to stop) does NOT mean that it is safe! that is i think a hard one for newer cyclists to really grasp --- yes, even if you technically do everything right it can still go wrong -- what's the lesson? every time you approach a stop sign, LOOK to see if the driver sees you (it's best if you can see the eyes) and if you're not sure, then start to slow down just in case (a good "trick" is to look until you know they see you and then pretend not to see the car so they can't "sneak in" and take the right-a-way because they know you will yeild to them as the car is bigger)

it's all about riding DEFENSIVELY. expect the car not to stop at the stop sign or the car to unexpectedly without signalling to turn right in front of you... remember this the next time you ride down the hill...

but don't let the fear keep you off the bike. USE the fear to make you a better rider in the future!! good luck and hope you get your bike back soon!