View Single Post
Old 05-02-14, 11:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by LinchPinn
I was looking to buy a bike for $400 or less without tax for commuting. I'm no expert with bikes but I was wondering if the Diadora Modena 2014 from sportchek is good for its price. Or maybe you guys can give me some other suggestions for under $400. The link to the Diadora is Diadora Modena 2014 - SportChek.ca
I am sure you can do better if you try. Around here that bike is considered a BSO (bicycle shaped object). I'm not sure but it seems that being sold by box deparment stores is enough to get nearly any bicyle a BSO label. That said, there are some specific reasons why your choice is not the best for commuting. First, its bound to be heavy. Suspension adds a lot of weight and, in 2014, you are still the most cost effective suspension system ever engineered to work on a bicycle. Next, it has no fenders or racks or mountings for them. They can still be retrofitted of course but there are bikes coming out that are equipped for commuting out of the box. Last, and this is surely just me. I don't like its looks. I am not a fan of the 'hybrid' look. For less money you can get a Schwinn Varsity/Protege which some might call BSO's but I don't. They are heavy and don't have racks but they look better than your choice. Just saying. Why don't you take your $400 to a local shop and see what's on offer. You might be pleasantly surprised. I am a pretty experienced mechanic and I don't need a bike shop for much. This, notwithstanding you'd be surprised at now many times a month I stop in at the two that are near me and at which I have a long-standing, cordial relationship.

H