TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I get that the concept of protected bike-ways is an appealing one, but, have any of you advocates considered the cost? I get that it potentially protects your precious patootie, but, have you considered the cost? Or have you considered that it must be possible to create several miles of "standard" unprotected bike lane for every mile of protected bike lane created.

Which would you rather do: wait until a network of protected bike-lanes, equal in size and scope to the existing surface street network arises OR advocate for increased driver education in sharing the existing surface streets and legislating sanctions for non-compliance. Wake up. A completely separate equal road system for cyclists is never going to happen. It's too expensive and there is no guarantee that it will even fulfill its purpose of making cycling for transportation more attractive to non-riders. Just saying.

H
One benefit is that on that section of the road, you no longer have frequent heavy loads traveling over it, so in theory it would last longer. I have seen roads where the car part was ground down and repaved because it was broken down, and the bike lane was untouched and in pretty decent shape.

- Andy