Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
You moved the goal post from "practical" to "convenient".
Both practical and convenient.

I agree that cars are convenient. I also think that you are underestimating the total cost of car ownership. In USAnia the average cost has been reported to be ~7000 euros per year (and gas is far more expensive in Serbia).
Yes, but if you drive 4000 km per year or less - i.e. using the car only when you really need one, you don't spend that much - also one could add the alternative costs - car often saves a lot of time, hassle and money if you need to transport more than 2 people with some goods.

Sounds like taking the bus is actually *practical* but not something that appeals. Probably ditto for moving closer to work.
For my wife it is very impractical. It would take almost one more hour for commuting each work day, plus all the hussle of waiting for one bus, traveling, then waiting for the next half way there...

Cars pollute the environment, contribute to habitat destruction/climate change, and encourage unhealthy sedentary lifestyles. IMO, low occupancy vehicle use is a classic tragedy of the commons. While I guess I support the right to choose to abuse cars, users should pay for their societal costs. IMO, cigarette taxation and advertising limits provide a good example of how we as a society should treat low occupancy motoring.
I agree with that. However, since we live in capitalism and it's all valued through money, all one can do is pay the price and do the best they can. In my country each litre of petrol is 50% more expensive due to taxes (eco, road use etc...).

Bicycles also pollute - they need to be built - casting iron, aluminium, tyres - it all polutes. The only really eco way of travel is by train. That's the most eco. So if you're all into eco friendly, find a workplace you can go to on foot and stop using bicycle - go wherever you can by train.

P.S. If it were on me to decide, I'd ban all the private cars all together - too dangerous and polluting. Only professional bus drivers, few taxis and trains. But the way it is - my several kms per year won't save the planet. Or make it worse. It is all about the money - when they find a way to tax sunshine, we'll all drive electric cars.

P.P.S. A car is a pinnacle of human technology. If you want to see how tech-advanced we are, you needn't look at space ships and stuff - it's the car. Electronics, mechanics, chemistry - all the tech advancements put into that one product - AND made rather convenient for many people to have. It is a great luxury, no doubt - one man can have 50 or a lot more horsepower at their disposal, be dry and warm in the winter and rain - travel VERY fast, carry a lot of things. That's why I wouldn't be without one - like said previously - I've always had one cheap small car for when it is needed.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 05-03-14 at 12:06 AM.