Old 05-03-14, 05:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If your budget is $50, you probably will get wet after you spent $50. Thus you will be poorer and unhappy.

I am quite happy with Marmot Precip jacket, but for cycling I do not use the hood, instead I use a helmet rain cover (J&G). The Precip jacket is a general use camping type jacket, not a bike specific jacket.

Any rain jacket, you will get water running down inside your collar if not using a hood. But if you are using a hood you will have less ability to look around. I would rather get a bit of rain down my collar than limit my visibility on a rainy day when visibility is already hampered. Thus, I do not use the hood while riding. But the hood is very nice in the campsite or when doing other things off of the bike.

I also have a bike specific rain jacket, but for touring where I will be walking around in the rain too, I leave the bike jacket home and take the general use type jacket.

The only thing I do not like about it is that it is not a high visibility color. Mine is a dark red, that was the brightest most visible one they had at the time. I had the same jacket in bright yellow that I bought for biking, but Marmot replaced it under warranty, the replacement offered was not as bright as I wanted.

You should consider how long it will last and spend the money necessary to get what you really will be happy with.