Old 05-03-14, 08:31 AM
joao_pimentel

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I agree about "addiction" my beef is with the use of the word "hardwired". Addiction is a very real problem and in the case of many addictions like alcoholism there is a definite genetic link. And I have seen studies that link increased addiction to various personality types, again part genetics.

I think GodsBassist hit the nail on the head about taking the path of least resistance, humans are inherently lazy for the most part and will usually take the easiest appearing path. IMHO much of it is conditioning. I know that if I don't get a bike ride or a walk in at least once a day I am in a foul mood for much of the rest of the day. That can be tracked to endorphins, again genetics play a part in that. I am active person by nature and cannot stand to be cooped up inside all day. I don't care how foul the weather is, I am going to get outside for at least half an hour and get some sort of exercise in. In my case it cannot be substituted for inside exercise though that is better than nothing. Is that hardwired in? I don't know, I come from a long line of farmers, and other outdoor people. Interestingly enough my dad is not much of an outdoor person, though both of my grandfathers and grandmothers were, as well as my great grandparents.

Aaron
There is also people addicted to physical exercise! As I said, the literature broadly defines an addiction as some adverse behaviour to which you find very hard to cease. Obviously there are many types and degrees of severity and consequences. We cannot compare coffee addiction (I'm into) to heroine addiction! Though, considering the provided data, car-wired phenomenon perfectly fits the broad scientific definition of addiction.