carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
thats gotta suck, thinking about dying
I was a kid, maybe 16 or 17, did a massive sprint while out riding with a teammate/friend. He found me on the side of the road, at first he thought I got hit by a car. We rode really slowly after that.

The only thing that comes close to that is when I was visiting a different former teammate/friend in Edward CO, which is at some high altitude, this was in 2010 so about 25 years later. He lived at the top of a 400m or so somewhat steep hill, one that you either twiddle a 39x25 up or you sprint up in a 53x15. I decided to use the latter technique, not realizing the effects of the thinner air at altitude. I was still wheezing when my friend rolled up, laughing at me. It wasn't nearly as bad as I never got off the bike but it definitely reminded me of the ozone sprint.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson