Old 10-11-05, 02:03 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this is divererging but---
I saw something about abulances being pulled by cattle, (damn I wish I had a photo of that). Even the bike-free might not want to go that far.

The bike riding is the least of the problems in Zim. People getting arrested for walking to work. Its like a critical mass for pedestians.

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx..._news__africa/

More news from Zim--

Zimbabwean police late on Wednesday released an opposition lawmaker and at least 16 of his constituents who were arrested earlier in the day for walking to work to protest chronic fuel shortages, their lawyer said.

Gilbert Shoko, the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) MP for Budiriro suburb in Harare, and opposition supporters were arrested as they walked to the city centre, their lawyer, Alec Muchadehama, said in the morning.

biodeisel should check this out.
Zimbabwe to start growing oil-rich tree for fuel

Harare, Zimbabwe

05 October 2005 02:29

Zimbabwe will soon start growing the oil-rich jatropha tree to manufacture its own blend of diesel as the country battles to overcome acute fuel shortages, state radio reported on Wednesday.

The jatropha plant -- a small deciduous tree that can grow in arid areas -- has seeds rich in vegetable oil that can be burned as a substitute for diesel.

"Zimbabwe will soon start growing the oil-rich jatropha tree on a commercial scale to help alleviate fuel shortages in the country through the manufacture of bio-diesel," the radio said.

It quoted an official from the Biosafety Board of Zimbabwe as saying the Science and Technology Development Ministry "has plans under way for massive production of jatropha during the forthcoming farming season".

Zimbabwe is in the grips of its worst fuel crisis ever, with most filling stations having gone for weeks or months without deliveries of petrol or diesel.

Only a handful of filling stations are selling fuel to long queues of motorists who have managed to find foreign currency to pay for fuel.

Zimbabwe has been battling shortages of foreign currency for the past five years. As a result, the country has struggled to pay for vital imports of fuel, power and medicines.

International reports say a tonne of jatropha seed oil can yield up to 1 100 litres of bio-diesel.

In August local pig farmers were reported to be applying for funding from the central bank for a project to generate electricity from pig manure. - Sapa-DPA
Related articles

Last edited by slagjumper; 10-11-05 at 02:28 PM.