View Single Post
Old 05-08-14, 02:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
In my experience, mirrors are dangerous. If you're going to make a left turn, and you're concerned that there is someone behind you that's going to mow you down, pull off to the right, and walk your bike across. If you're concerned that someone is going to come up behind you and mow you down - you're screwed anyway. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles, and totally don't understand what mirrors do for people other than distract them and give them a false sense of security.
Originally Posted by Biker395
This is from the first 50 miles of the Hoo Doo 500. That's me on the shoulder on the other side of the rumble strip.

First Frame: The driver of the westbound auto decided to pass, even though another auto was approaching and visibility was limited. Nice.

Second Frame: Driver begins to "complete" his pass, with both affected autos moving towards the shoulder, one of them onto the shoulder occupied by ME!

Before this began, I was on the drops and going 30+ MPH. But I saw it develop in front of me and thanks to the rear view mirror, was able to tell there was an auto approaching behind me and how far back he was. Should I have had to bail out into the dirt, I was prepared. As it was, I knew there was the danger, but knew there was no need to bail out.

I know there is a difference of opinion on the matter, but I think rear view mirrors rock.
Great response to top post.

I've used bar mount, bar end mount, brake hood strap mount, drop bar brake top mount, helmet mount and eye glass mount. Preference is Third eye and Heads Up with the latter being mounted upside down.

I use the biking mirror just like a vehicle mirror in that I am constantly glancing back. I still turn my head at times for additional checking. Eye glass mount has been the most stable that is usable in all positions on bars and aero bars. I have left the mirror on when transitioning to the half and full marathon run during a triathlon. Helps me see all the people I've passed in the bike coming back to pass me in the run.

Forgot, I can see the drafters also.