View Single Post
Old 05-10-14, 04:53 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by BADMTS
You win, i quit - i was stupid for joining - you jerks enjoy each other!
BADMITS: I know how you feel right now. I've been there. And, like me, you're probably still checking back here to see if anybody has reacted to your flabbergasted "I'm taking my ball and going home" remark.

Don't be discouraged or offended. I've learned to expect some rough responses anytime I post anything here. Many cyclists are socially awkward and have bad communication skills, which is why so many choose to ride to work alone, rather than have to make chit chat on the train. Others are just so passionate about bicycling that they can be offensive in stating their opinions. I don't think anybody here is a bad person.

Anyway, having just come to this thread now, the one thing I took away from it is that it seems this project is more about the process than the result. You like to tinker and you like to ride something you built with your own two hands. The way Leisesturm describes the satisfaction of building a computer, I, as a former professional drummer, used to love nothing more than building my own drum kits from wooden shells and hand-picked hardware. They didn't look or sound better - and they certainly didn't cost any less - than a commercially available kit, but they were MINE. I feel the same way about the bicycles I build for myself.

Like some of the others, I might shrug my shoulders and wrinkle my brow when you mention front suspension or disc brakes, but I say, if you have a vision, go with it. Ultimately, you're going to post a photo of it on this forum and all the naysayers are going to comment on what a sweet ride it is.

My one suggestion: When posting here, try to avoid asking for the "best" anything. There is no "best" anything. "Best" is all in the head of the person reading, and you can be sure there are going to be some readers who are so set in their opinions that they will fight you and insult you to the death to win the argument.