Old 05-10-14, 10:23 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
How are you finding out about the routes you are riding on?
I use Map My Ride to develop and map my own routes. Map My Ride includes a Google Earth "Fly By Video". This is found by clicking on the 3D icon on the Map My Ride map. This allows the viewer to fly over the route in 3D using software. It also provides "Street View" with enough detail to evaluate road quality.

http://www.mapmyride.com/it/amantea-...route-57295864

Another aid I use is to drop a pin at the half-way point on the route using the map and directions app on my iPhone. If I need directions while on the route, I can ask the app to map the route from my current location.

I could use this methodologies to plan rides in most of the scenic locations in Italy or any other Mediterranean region. Most of the rural roads are scenic and bike safe. My twenty-something year old daughter is planning a multi-day tour this summer. I'll combine reviews of touring routes from Crazy-Guy-on-a-Bike with Map My Ride to plan a route from somewhere near Munich to Vienna for her.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-11-14 at 01:28 PM.