Old 05-11-14, 02:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I saw that image when it appeared yesterday. I think it is excellent.

Both my parents cycled, first on singles and later on tandems. Our house was full of cycling stuff, we all cycled quite regularly, and bicycles accompanied us on our holidays. We cycled together as a family, or on some occasions, my father who was the stronger rider would go out early to cycle longer and my mother, brother, and I would set off later.

I particularly remember our trips into the Canadian Rockies. We'd stay at Banff and on at least one day there, we'd do a ride out to Johnson's Canyon. My father would go earlier and ride further and then would turn around and ride back to meet us. My mother, brother and I would take off an hour or so later and cruise along together until we met up with my father, and then we'd cycle the rest of the way to Johnson's Canyon and back together.

I also remember weekends in Regina when the whole family would put the panniers on the bicycles, and cycle to the library downtown to exchange the stacks of books we loved to read.

My parents encouraged me to cycle to and from school and other places growing up, and have been supportive of my cycling adventures all along.

And ... my mother, in her 70s now, still cycles.