KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I disagree with the notion that we earn respect from motorists by obeying the law.

IME motorists divide bicyclists into two categories, those in their way, and those not. Other than how we may somehow inconvenience them, they don't notice or care what we do.

That may be something of an exaggeration, but the basic is right. Drivers either don't mind cyclists, or hate us, but it's not based on anything we do, unless we interfere with them so badly that we fuel that hate.
+1. You consistently get it.

The give respect to get respect arguments imply that we are somehow responsible for the BEHAVIOR of others based on their perception of our group status. I am responsible for me, that's it. A motorist can THINK whatever he chooses to think about me, but if he extends that thought into behavior that is dangerous and/or illegal, the motorist is 100% responsible for that behavior. I ride safely to protect myself and I ride considerately because I'm generally a considerate person and I care about the effect my actions have on others.

I frankly don't care that much about how the driver feels about me or other cyclists, just as I'm sure they don't give much thought to how I feel about them. The VAST majority of drivers I come into contact with are respectful, sane and competent...the "perception" some have of cyclists doesn't justify the small minority of jerk hats. Would ford drivers worry about giving respect so that others respect fords?

Most poor behavior happens because of:

1. Error/mistakes. They happen. I make them on my bike on occasion and motorists screw up as well. The majority of issues I've had are simply mistakes. Unlike others here - I'm not perfect either. Gump happens.

2. Selfishness. Some people just don't give a damn about your "rights" or space - they want to drive to point B quickly, and God help anyone in their way. A significant portion of our population - including members of our group - are self centered meat heads and if they have the right motivation on the wrong day, watch out. I had a cab cut me off the other day so closely that I still don't understand how I didn't hit him. He saw us, he just didn't care...he wanted to beat the light and that was more important than my safety.

3.Negligence. This can be similar to number one, it's just more avoidable behavior - texting while driving, rolling stops, drunks, etc.

4. Pranksters. There may be overlap with the psychopath...but it's usually more prank'ish. The stupid kid throwing a soda who doesn't understand or think about the consequences.

5. Psychopaths. I've never come into contact with one of these in my history of cycling - these are the guys that hate cyclists and, if they can get away with it, might hurt you just to do it. These are the truck drivers in Easy Rider. The site famous Doctor. The guys booby trapping a trail. These are people that if they weren't out to get cyclists, it would be doctors, or a racial group, or the government, or fluoride. This is the only group where perception matters, and it's a pretty small group. I've never met one, and hope I don't. The problem these people have is that they're psychopaths - and thinking that we should change our perception to appease them is like blaming movies for Columbine.

I have a better suggestion - ride safely, as that applies in your area. Ride considerately whenever possible. Not to get respect, but because it's the right thing to do. If someone decides that me following Idaho laws, which is what I have found to be safest for most situations, is "wrong" in some sense, they are welcome to their annoyance, just as that person probably has a dozen behaviors that annoy me. It's a community, you're going to get annoyed from time to time and it doesn't justify poor behavior.