View Single Post
Old 10-12-05, 07:40 AM
Zonker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Good feedback thus far. The only thing I would add would be to just give it a try...

As for the cadence thing, if you enjoy riding the tandem and go into it with a commitment that you'll each "give a little" to make it work you'll have a better than 50/50 chance of working through the compromises. In fact, this past weekend our good friend 'Zonker' discovered that he and his GF have slightly different approaches to cadence when it comes to climbing that they will no doubt be working on in the future. Heck, if it was easy everyone would do it... and where would the fun be in that?

Again, give it a try. You've got nothing to lose... well, except some cash if you get hooked.
You can say that again! That was our first time on a hill, as all of our previous rides have been on a relatively flat rails to trails trail. While we're talking about cadence, my very wise and patient SO pointed out even before we got the tandem that we had different cadence styles on our single bikes. I went hard, coasted, went hard, whereas she had a more even, medium effort stroke. I've been riding a fixed gear single one or two nights a week to try to even out my cadence...there's no coasting on a fixie!